April 28, 2015

Alcohol Ink Tools and Supplies

Hi everyone!  I hope spring has you in a great mood like it does me!  Whew, what a long winter! Good riddance!  When we hit 70 I feel like I can do anything!

I impulsively said what the heck and decided to make a little video with my iPad on the tools I use in alcohol ink painting.  It's very rudimentary but I started!  That's half the battle right?

There will be a learning curve...

I am going to do this though!

I have lot's of ideas and thought well, maybe technique will be most helpful.  That's really what I want to see but no one does it, they just paint.  I like to have all my tools and options spread before me and then I like to go at it! So I am going to make videos like that.  Short bites of technique.


Here is the first one.  I hope this clears some things up and gives you ideas!  I am sure I'll come up with more tools!



If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask!!

And sign up for my newsletter!  Each month I select someone from my list to win an alcohol ink original painting!  May is coming!

Sign up HERE!

4 comments:

  1. That was great, Kelly! I found it very interesting and am looking forward to further videos from you.

    (I have been learning how to do videos too, it is lots of fun)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rolina! We'll get this down. It was not as bad as I thought although I will not use my ipad again :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, Kelly! I really enjoyed this video - great job!
    Question: Do you spray a fixative or varnish-type layer over your finished alcohol ink paintings to protect them? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not. I have not had luck with this. I cannot spray in the winter and when I did attempt it it was clumping. I think I used some Krylon archival spray. I also tried varnishing with acrylic varnish and it worked but so many brush marks! So now I do not. I have no idea how long they will last this way. There is a UV glass protector film available at B&H photo online that you could put over the glass.

      I have not gone into tiles because I don't want to deal with resins either.

      There is one other option I toyed with and then went nah, too much work. Which was to mount them on cradled board and use a pourable self leveling medium from Golden and top that with Goldens removable varnish.

      Delete

Oh Yay!!!
.:Happy dance:.
* Running around in circles*
{Jumping up and down}

You've decided to take time to leave a comment! I get very excited when that happens! Thank you!

Boooo! I have to use that silly word verification {thank you spammers!} It's gotten too bad for me to have it off... sorry :(